In response to the devastating bushfires across large parts of Australia, the ATO has been keen to advise those impacted that it understands peoples’ priority is their family and community.
If taxpayers live in one of the identified impacted postcodes, the ATO will automatically defer any lodgements or payments, meaning that income tax, activity statement, SMSF and FBT lodgements (and their associated payments) are deferred until 28 May 2020.
For those affected that are not in the current ATO postcodes list, assistance can still be provided, with impacted taxpayers encouraged to phone the ATO’s Emergency Support Infoline on 1800 806 218.
Support available for you
To assist you, the ATO can, for example:
- give you extra time to pay your debt or lodge tax forms such as activity statements
- help you find your lost tax file number (TFN) by using methods to verify your identity such as your date of birth, address and bank account details
- re-issue income tax returns, activity statements and notices of assessment
- help you re-construct tax records lost or damaged in the bushfire
- prioritise any refunds you are owed
- set up a payment plan tailored to your circumstances including an interest-free period
- remit penalties or interest charged during the time you have been affected by the bushfires.
Click here to access the ATO’s website for more details on ways to get support.